In this series, you’ll learn the basics of SpriteKit by building Gloop’s Revenge, a 2D game with similar gameplay to the classic Atari 2600 game “Kaboom!”.
SpriteKit is an excellent choice for creating 2D games for iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS — especially if you’re already familiar with Swift and Xcode. While there are other options out there, like Unity and Unreal Engine, SpriteKit offers developers a way to create games for the Apple platforms in a native Xcode environment.
What do I need to work through this series?
To work through this series, there are a few things you need:
- You need macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later.
- You also need Xcode 10.0 or later.
- You should know how to code with Swift 4.2, or at least know the basics.
- Although you’ll be using on the simulator, you should have an iOS 12 device for proper testing.
How many lessons are in this series?
The series is currently in development. The first part of the series is expected to be five lessons, with a release schedule of one per week:
- Sprites and Nodes
- Universal Game Design
- Movement and Animations
- Physics and Collision Detection
- Scene Management
If you’re a DOTI Premium Member, you’ve been granted early access and can start right away using the “Series Navigation” links below! -[:)]
Non-subscribers may purchase this SpriteKit Masterclass in our DOTI Shop after all lessons are released.